BASI Pilates South Africa Mat Teacher Training Course (24 CPD-2020)
2021 CPD points - 24 CPD are available for the MAT section of either the Mat course or the Comprehensive course, please request a CPD register from your Host studio on day one.
Any program schedule is subject to postponement or cancellation, based on student enrolment.
BASI Pilates Course Prerequisites
Students NEED to meet the following prerequisites, before deciding to take part in this highly sought-after international pilates certification course.
- Each potential student will need to attend a minimum of 10 BASI Pilates classes, at a BASI Pilates studio, prior to joining the course.
- You need to have completed Matric and/or be at least 20 years of age (we will consider a letter of motivation if the student applying is younger than 20).
- Familiarity with the teachings of Joseph Pilates
- Familiarity in basic anatomy and physiology - Specialization in a related area of study, such as physical therapy or massage therapy is an added benefit, but not essential.
- Experience in a related form of physical activity - Prior experience in an athletic activity that develops body awareness, discipline, and other attributes that are extremely beneficial to the study of Pilates.
- Teaching experience is recommended - Any past teaching experience, even in an unrelated field, will contribute to you becoming a skilled teacher of the Pilates method.
BASI Pilates Course Hour Requirements InStudio & ONLINE
- Academic Study – 24 hours: All BASI Pilates Courses have a modular structure, which covers lectures, exercise analysis, practice and discussions. The theoretical component of the course is essential study. These hours are covered in the course. In the event that a student misses a module/s, private tuition is available from the Teacher Trainer at an additional hourly rate of R700.00 per hour, these extra fees are over and above the normal course fees.
- Practical Work – 40 hours: This is individual practice on the mat by the student. It can be done at any location, e.g. home, a BASI Graduate (affiliated) studio or any BASI SA Host studio. Students may practice on their own or in groups at any time or at a time arranged between the studio and student.
- Observation - 15 hours: Observation hours require that the student observe how seasoned BASI Pilates Instructors teach (mat & equipment) classes. Observation hours can be obtained at either a BASI Host studio or a BASI Graduate (affiliated) studio at a time arranged between the studio & student.
- You may also obtain some of your practice and observation hours by doing classes through Pilates Interactive - portal.basipilate.com
- Apprentice Teaching – 30 hours: Teaching hours require that the student teaches an individual (any individual, fellow students) or a group of people at the Host location or a BASI Graduate (affiliated) studio or at home.
***PLEASE Take NOTE that when you decide to do any part of the COURSE ONLINE you will need to adhere to the following T’s & C’s:
Additional Practical Hours if Course in done ONLINE:
Mat students will need to do an additional (12hrs) of InStudio Practical hours, where a Faculty or Experienced Instructor could assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
- You may start logging any hours after your first module!
Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies/protocols when making use of the host or BASI Graduate (affiliated) studio facilities.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL students need to have their student cards on their person every time they enter a Host studio, for the duration of the course – approximately (4) four months in total (see expiry date on student card, students may attend FREE group MAT classes at any of the BASI SA Host studios, Not BASI Graduate (Affiliated) Studio's. Normal class fees are applicable after the (4) four-month period has expired (see expiry date on student card).
INTERNATIONAL Students will UNFORTUNATELY not have the same access if visiting HOST Studio's outside of South Africa, but if INTERNATIONAL students doing the BASI SA ONLINE COURSES are visiting in South Africa they may make use of this offer at any BASI South Africa Host studio.
Note: Log sheets are e-mailed to the students after the first section of the course, this is where you need to keep track of the hours logged. The sheets need to be signed by a person of authority at the applicable studio. If you for e.g. practice at home and there is no one to sign the sheet, still log it. Regularly load your hours completed via your student dashboard BASIPilates.COM Portal.
It is impossible for any Teacher Trainer/Faculty to continuously watch students practice and teach, we base the hours done on a TRUST basis, the proof is in the pudding as we say, as when you do your Centralised Testing it will show, and your hours will be questioned. Please keep notes of all questions and concerns, so that when you are with your teacher trainer/faculty you can address them.
Logging of hours
ALL Online & InStudio Mat classes, tutorials and webinars attended (NOT the InStudio or Online Program modules) by the student during the time of the program may be counted towards observation, teaching or practical hours. Teaching hours can be done InStudio or Online with (Family, friends or fellow students) these are classes taught by you, the “Instructor in training” and may be used towards your hours required.
All BASI South Africa Faculty & Host Studio's offer 6 extra hours free of charge, these are none as student tutorials, in these student tutorials the teacher reviews work and focuses on teaching techniques, Q&A's, Mock Centralised Testing etc. On request, the teacher may host more student tutorials but at an additional cost of R200 per student if requested. For the Student tutorials schedule, please contact your course Host administrator after you have started the course.
BASI Host & BASI Graduate Studios (Affiliated studio's)
Host Studios/BASI Pilates Academy: These are the studio's where the BASI Pilates SA courses and testing are conducted. The owner is generally also the Teacher Trainer (BASI Faculty).
BASI Graduate Studios (Affiliated studio's): These are usually studio's owned &/or run by a BASI graduate. Students wishing to complete required hours at a BASI Graduate studio should contact the studio directly to inquire about availability, applicable rules, studio rates and protocols.
Certification requirements (Pass 70% and above)
At Module 4: Written Quiz (30 min) on all practical and theory work from Modules 1 – 3, these results are there to show your progress ***These marks do not count towards your final mark***
- Keep uploading all hours completed to your student dashboard via basipilates.COM PORTAL
Centralized Testing Requirements (MTTC)
BASI Students (Mat Teacher Training Course – MTTC) are eligible to sign up for Centralized Testing following the completion of these course requirements:
- Attendance of all (6) six modules
- Completion of observation, self-practice and student teaching hours.
Centralized testing registration procedures:
- View location and dates for Centralized testing on the website www.basipilates.co.za
- Register online at www.basipilates.co.za and make payment for Centralized testing before testing date.
- Centralized testing registrations close (2) two weeks prior to the testing date chosen or once SOLD OUT so do not wait too long before registering and making payment.
- Your Final written exam must be done ONLINE through your student dashboard via www.basipilates.COM before day of testing.
- All completed logged hours must be uploaded through your student dashboard via www.basipilates.COM before day of testing.
- Should a student not successfully pass the teaching or practical demonstration section/s of the Centralized testing, the student needs to re-register on the next available Centralized Testing date at the most convenient location and dates provided on www.basipilates.co.za and only re-do the section/s that were failed. See Centralised testing fees when you register per section or for both.
- For the written exam, the student needs to do the ONLINE Test via his/her student dashboard www.basipilates.COM at no additional cost.
- The student needs to re-do the section/s within 1 year from the end of Module 6.
Issue of Certificate
Students have (1) One year in which to complete all the required hours (practice, teaching & observation). The BASI certificate will only be requested once all required hours are complete, testing is passed with 70% and above and all fees are paid in full.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns, as we would like to assist you wherever we can. Contact BASI SA Administrator, Thelia Houston-McMillan via e-mail email@example.com
No refunds are given!
Students may transfer funds to a subsequent course at the same location or at another course Host location within South Africa. Valid for (1) one year.
No refunds are given if:
A student misses any modules of the program.
A student chooses to leave the program of her/his own volition.
A student fails to attend the program, following BASI Pilates notification of acceptance and confirmation by the student.
A student fails to attend the program without reasonable prior notification, this will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
All Course fees are inclusive of VAT. A non–refundable registration fee of R1437.50 is due on registration to keep your spot and the balance of the once-off payment is due at least 4 weeks before the course/program start date. If you opted for the payment plan complete the Debit order Instruction and return it with your proof of payment of the 30% deposit which is due at least 4 weeks prior to the course/program start date. Your first installment will be deducted from your bank account between the 1-7 of every new month after the course starts or before if requested. firstname.lastname@example.org