BASI Pilates Course Prerequisites
Students will benefit from meeting these prerequisites, though they are not mandatory in order to begin a course.
- Familiarity with the teachings of Joseph Pilates - We recommend attendance of a minimum of 10 BASI Pilates classes, at a BASI Pilates studio, prior to the course.
- Familiarity in basic anatomy and physiology - Specialization in a related area of study, such as physical therapy or massage therapy is an added benefit, but not essential.
- Experience in a related form of physical activity - Prior experience in an athletic activity develops body awareness and other attributes that are extremely beneficial to the study of Pilates.
- Teaching experience is recommended - Any past teaching experience, even in an unrelated field, will contribute to you becoming a skilled teacher of the Pilates method.
BASI Pilates Course Requirements
- Academic Study – Academic Study – 24 hours: All BASI Pilates Courses have a modular structure, which covers lectures, exercise analysis, practice and discussions. The theoretical component of the course is essential study. These hours are covered in the course. In the event that a student misses a module/s, private tuition is available from the Teacher Trainer at an additional hourly rate of R600.00 per hour, these extra fees are over and above the fees of the course.
- Practical Work – Practical Work – 40 hours: Practical Work is individual practice on the mat by the student. It can be done at any location, e.g. home, an affiliated studio or the host studio. Students can practice on their own or in groups at any time or at a time arranged between the studio and student. Practice hours can be obtained from after the first section of the course. Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies when making use of the host or affiliated studio’s facilities. You may obtain about 50% of your practical hours by doing classes through Pilates Interactive www.pilatesinteractive.com or Pilates Anytime www.platesanytime.com
Note: For the duration of the course – about (4) four months in total (see expiry date on student card, students may attend FREE group MAT classes at any of the BASI SA Host studios (NOT AFFILIATED STUDIOS). Normal class fees are applicable after the (4) four months have expired (see expiry date on student card.
Observation - 20 hours: Observation hours require that the student observe how seasoned BASI Pilates instructors teach (mat & equipment) classes. Observation hours can be obtained at either a BASI host studio or an affiliated studio at a time arranged between the studio & student. Observation hours can be obtained from after the first section of the course. Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies when making use of the host or affiliated studio’s facilities. 50% of observation hours can be done through Pilates Interactive www.pilatesinteractive.com or Pilates Anytime www.platesanytime.com (BASI Classes).
- Apprentice Teaching – 40 hours: Teaching hours require that the student teaches an individual (any individual, even fellow students) or a group of people at the host location or an affiliated studio.
Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies when making use of the host or affiliated studio’s facilities. Teaching hours can be obtained from after the first section of the course.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL students need to have their student cards on their person every time they enter a Host studio, as you receive free group Mat classes during your start and expiry dates on your student card. No Card No Free Group Mat class!!! If your expiry date has been reached and you still need to complete your hours unfortunatley you will no longer be entitled to free group Mat classes, the student will then need to pay (Normal studio rates). If the student is still in need of observation or teaching hours after the student card expiry date has been reached the Host studio will charge the student on entry to the studio a daily surcharge of R50.00 for the teaching and observation hours.
All South African BASI Host locations offer 6 extra hours free of charge, these are none as student tutorials, in these student tutorials the teacher reviews work and focuses on teaching techniques. On request the teacher may host more student tutorials at an additional cost of R200 per student. For the Student tutorial schedules, please contact the course Host.
Host & Affiliated Studios:
- Host Studios: A Host Studio is the studio where the BASI courses and testing is conducted. The owner is generally also the Teacher Trainer (BASI Faculty).
- Affiliated Studios: An Affiliated Studio is usually the studio of a BASI graduate. Students wishing to complete required hours at an affiliated studio should contact the affiliated studio directly to inquire about availability and applicable rules and regulations.
Once qualified and you own our own studio or you are a freelance Instructor, become part of the BASI SA Studio/Instructor Partner Network by subscribing to our website www.basipilates.co.za. for a small annual subscription fee, register and become part of the amazing BASI SA Pilates community. (T's & C's apply) Link to follow: http://basipilates.co.za/basi-pilates-sa-network
- Deposit - The deposit or full payment is due (4) weeks prior to the start of a course. This covers the Manuals and Tuition.
- Instalments - When opting for a payment plan over 6 or 12 months, it is a requirement that a mandate for a debit order be signed. The relevant document (i.e. Debit order instruction) can be downloaded from the website while registering. Complete the debit order instruction and e-mail it with your proof of payment (EFT for your deposit) to BASI SA headoffice firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your first monthly instalment for either 6 or 12 month payment is due between the 1st and the 7th of every new month after the course starts. Interest is charged on outstanding balance for late payments.
- Registration Fee - The registration fee of R1150.00 (VAT included) is non-refundable and is payable on Registration.
- Refunds - No refunds are given after Module 2 or if a student misses one or more modules or if a student chooses to leave the course on her/his own volition or if a student fails to attend the course, following BASI Pilates notification of acceptance and confirmation by the student or if a student fails to attend the course without reasonable prior notification. Students can transfer funds to another BASI SA course.
- Extra Costs - Books(optional extra reading material), Online Subscriptions(optional), Centralized Testing or Lectures missed, are extra costs that are not included in the student fees. If any modules/lectures are missed the student may arrange catch up sessions with the Teacher Trainer (charged at an additional rate of R600.00 per hour) – this fee is over and above the normal course fees and is payable directly to the teacher trainer giving you the catch up classes. If the student is still in need of observation or teaching hours after the student card expiry date has been reached the Host studio will charge the student on entry to the studio a daily surcharge of R50.00 for the teaching and observation hours.
Certification requirements (Pass 70% and above)
At Module 4: Written Quiz (30 min) on all practical and theory work from Modules 1 – 3.
* These marks do not count towards your final marks.
- At module 6 a summary of hours done to date needs to be handed in.
Centralized Testing Requirements (MTTC)
BASI Students (Mat Teacher Training Course – MTTC) are eligible to sign up for Centralized Testing following the completion of these course requirements:
- Attendance of all (6) six modules
- Completion of observation, self-practice and student teaching hours.
Centralized testing registration procedures:
- View location and dates for Centralized testing on the website www.basipilates.co.za
- Register online at www.basipilates.co.za and make payment for Centralized testing before testing date.
- Centralized testing registrations close (2) two weeks prior to the testing date chosen.
- All complete logged hours may be submitted via e-mail email@example.com, or by hand on the day of testing.
- Should a student not successfully pass the teaching or demonstration section/s of the Centralized testing, the student needs to re-register on the next available Centralized Testing date at the most convenient location and dates provided on www.basipilates.co.za and only re-do the section/s that were failed. Teaching or Demonstration section/s fees are R400.00 per section (Including VAT).
- For the written exam, the student may make arrangements with the course administrator to re-write at no additional cost.
- The student needs to re-do the section/s within 1 year from the end of Module 6.
Issue of Certificate
Students have (1) One year in which to complete all the required hours (practice, teaching & observation). The BASI certificate will only be requested once all required hours are complete, testing is passed with 70% and above and all fees are paid in full.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns, as we would like to assist you wherever we can. Contact BASI SA Administrator, Thelia Houston-McMillan at (012) 460 9206 (option 2) - Office Hours or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org