BASI Pilates Course Prerequisites
Students will benefit from meeting these prerequisites, though they are not mandatory in order to begin a course.
- Familiarity with the teachings of Joseph Pilates - We recommend attendance of a minimum of 10 BASI Pilates classes, at a BASI Pilates studio, prior to the course.
- Familiarity in basic anatomy and physiology - Specialization in a related area of study, such as physical therapy or massage therapy, are normally an added benefit, but not essential.
- Experience in a related form of physical activity - Prior experience in an athletic activity develops body awareness and other attributes that are extremely beneficial to the study of Pilates.
- Teaching experience is recommended - Any past teaching experience, even in an unrelated field, will contribute to you becoming a skilled teacher of the Pilates method.
BASI Pilates Course Requirements
- Academic Study – 72 hours: All BASI Pilates Courses have a modular structure, which covers lectures, exercise analysis, practice and discussions. The theoretical component of the course is essential study. These hours are covered in the course. In the event that a student misses a module/s, private tuition is available from the Teacher Trainer at an additional hourly fee of R600.00 per hour
- Practical Work – 200 hours: Practical Work is individual practice on the mat and/or the apparatus by the student. It can be done at any location, e.g. home, an affiliated studio or the host studio. Students may practice on their own or in groups at any time or at a time arranged between the studio and the student. Practice hours can be obtained from after the first section of the course. Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies when making use of the host or affiliated studio facilities. OPTIONAL: You may also obtain practical hours from Pilates Interactive - www.pilatesinteractive.com or Pilates Anytime - www.pilatesanytime.com at an additional monthly subcription obtained directly through those websites.
- Note: For the duration of the course – about (6) six months in total (see expiry date on your student card, students may attend FREE group MAT classes at any of the BASI SA Host studios (NOT AFFILIATED STUDIOS). Normal class fees are applicable after the (6) six months have expired (see expiry date on student card. NO CARD NO CLASSES!
- Observation - 100 hours: Observation hours required where the student observes seasoned BASI Pilates instructors teach (mat or equipment) classes. Observation hours can be obtained at either a BASI SA host studio or at an affiliated BASI studio at a time arranged between the studio & the student. Observation hours can be obtained from after the first section of the course. Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies when making use of the host or affiliated studio facilities. Practical and observation hours can be done through Pilates Interactive.
- Apprentice Teaching - 200 hours: Teaching hours require by the student, teaching an individual (any individual, even fellow students/family or friends) or a group of people at the host location or an affiliated studio or at home. Arrangements to be made in advance with applicable Host Studio when bringing persons to teach at the facility.
Please ensure that you are familiar with the studio policies when making use of the host or affiliated studio’s facilities. Teaching hours can be obtained from after the first section of the course.
All South African BASI Host Studio's offer 6 extra hours free of charge, these are none as student tutorials, in these student tutorials the teacher reviews work and focuses on teaching techniques. On request the teacher may host more student tutorials at an additional cost of R200 per student. For the Student tutorials schedule, please contact your course Host administrator.
Host & Affiliated Studios:
- Host Studios: A Host Studio is the studio where the BASI SA courses and testing are conducted. The owner is generally also the Teacher Trainer (BASI Faculty).
- Affiliated Studios: An Affiliated Studio is usually the studio of a BASI graduate. Students wishing to complete required hours at an affiliated studio should contact that studio directly to inquire about availability and applicable rules and regulations.
Once qualified and you own your own studio or you are a freelance instructor, become part ot the BASI SA Studio/Instructor Partner Network, for more info visit www.basipilates.co.za at a small annual subscription, register and become part of the BASI SA Pilates community. (T’s & C’s apply).
Link to follow: https://basipilates.co.za/basi-pilates-sa-network
- Deposit - The deposit or full payment is due at least (4) weeks prior to the start of a course. This covers the 7 Manuals, and the Tuition.
- Instalments - When opting for a payment plan over 6 or 12 months, it is a requirement that a mandate for a debit order be signed. The relevant document (Debit order instruction) can be downloaded while registering. Complete this form and e-mail it with your proof of payment (EFT of your deposit) to BASI SA head office email@example.com
- The first monthly instalment for iether 6 or 12 month payment plans is due between the 1st and the 7th of every new month after the course starts. Interest will be charged on any outstanding or late payments.
- Registration Fee - The registration fee of R1150.00(VAT included) is non-refundable and is payable on Registration.
- Refunds - No refunds are given after Module 2 or if a student misses one or more modules or if a student chooses to leave the course on her/his own volition or if a student fails to attend the course, following BASI Pilates notification of acceptance and confirmation by the student or if a student fails to attend the course without reasonable prior notification. Students can transfer funds to another BASI SA course.
- Extra Costs (Optional) - Books, Online Subscriptions, Centralized Testing or lectures missed, are extra costs that are not included in the student fees. If any modules/lectures are missed the student may arrange catchup sessions with the Teacher Trainer (charged at an additional rate of R600.00 per hour) – this fee is over and above the normal course fees and is payable directly to the teacher trainer giving you the catchup classes. If the student is still in need of observation or teaching hours after the student card expiry date has been reached the Host studio will charge the student on entry to the studio a daily surcharge of R50.00 for the teaching and observation hours.
Certification requirements (Pass 70% and above)
At Module 4: Written Quiz (30 min) on all practical and theory work from Modules 1 – 3.
At Module 7: Midterm (Compulsory)
- Continued informal assessments are done during Modules 7-9 on teaching and practical demonstrations.
- 2 Hour written exam on all practical and theory work from Modules 1 – 6.
- A summary of hours done to date – hours do not need to be complete at this point.
* The assessments above do not count towards your final mark, they are done to evaluate your status at this point in your course.
At Module 12:
- Continued informal assessments are done during Modules 10-12 on teaching and practical demonstrations.
- A summary of hours done to date – hours do not need to be complete at this point.
- Hand in a research paper on module 12 or at centralized testing. Guidelines provided in a separate document.
*Please bring 1 hard copy of research paper and email your hard copy in pdf format 1 day prior to Centralized testing via firstname.lastname@example.org. Upload your research project to your profile on the (BASI USA) website www.basipilates.com Please note that some research papers may be published on the website.
Centralized Testing Requirements (CTTC)
BASI Students (Comprehensive Teacher Training Course – CTTC) are eligible to sign up for Centralized Testing following the completion of these course requirements:
- Attendance of all (12) modules
- Completion of observation, self-practice and student teaching hours
- Submission of student research paper at Centralized testing, only applicable to Comprehensive Students
Centralized testing registration procedures:
- View location and dates for Centralized testing on the website www.basipilates.co.za
- Register online at www.basipilates.co.za and make payment for Centralized testing before testing date, your testing fee is forefited if there is a NO SHOW on the day of testing, and a re-regiser and payment is needed for your next testing date.
- Centralized testing registrations close (2) two weeks prior to testing date chosen.
- A time schedule will be e-mailed via the Host studio to all registered students for centralized testing a few days before testing date
- All completed logged hours may be submitted via e-mail email@example.com or by hand on the day of testing.
- Should a student not successfully pass the teaching or demonstration section/s of the Centralized testing, the student will need to re-register on the next available Centralized Testing date at the most convenient location and dates provided (www.basipilates.co.za) and only re-do the section/s that were failed.
- Teaching or Demonstration section/s fees are R400.00 (Excluding VAT) per section.
- For the written exam, the student can make arrangements with the Host course administrator to re-write at no additional cost.
- The student needs to re-do the section/s within 1 year from end of Module 12.
Issue of Certificate
Students have (1) One year in which to complete all the required hours (practice, teaching & observation). The BASI certificate will only be requested once all required hours are complete, testing is passed with 70% and above and all fees are paid in full.
Please contact us with all your questions or concerns. We would like to assist you wherever we can. Contact our Administrator, Thelia Houston-McMillan at (012) 460 9206 (option 2) - Office Hours or via firstname.lastname@example.org